If you want to target your contacts according to non default parameters such as age, job, etc., one option is to collect from your subscribers the information that interests you. To collect user data, you must ask them questions using automation rules.
Start by creating a new automation.
Make sure to unselect Show in help menu.
Save your automation. You will switch to the next screen.
Fill in the Add rule form.
- Select "On Subscription created" to send your questions to your subscribers immediately after their subscription.
- Select Broadcast for content type
- Choose Send Text for Perform
- In the Text field, enter your question, then check Activate replies to allow your subscribers to answer your question. This will trigger the display of the Question identifier and Suggested replies fields.
- In the Question identifier field, enter a parameter corresponding to the question. Choose a descriptive name because this parameter will be saved in the contact profile when tick the Save answer to contact profile check box.
- Fill out the Suggested replies field if you want to suggest replies to your subscribers. Put in your replies suggestions separated by commas.
- Add a delay if necessary.
- Finally, click on Create rule to create your rule.
If you want to collect additional information such as Sex, add a new rule to the previous one. This rule will represent a new question. This will allow you to chain your questions one after the other. The process is similar to the previous one, only four fields vary.
- This time, you will choose "On Reply", so that the new question is asked after the answer to your previous question.
- The next field is "On question identifier". Fill it with the identifier of the previous question, "Age" in this case.
- Perform "Send text".
- In the Text field, ask your question "Thank your for your answer. Now, what is your gender?". Then click on Activate replies.
- Enter the current question identifier.
- Make sure to select "Save answer to contact profile".
- You can fill in the Suggested replies field, in this case, with M (Male) and F (Female).
- When you check Enforce suggestion choice, the Re-prompt message field will be displayed. Inside, enter the message to send to the contact when its response does not match one of the suggestions. E.g.: Please choose one of the suggestions.
- You can now create the rule.
Repeat the same operation for your next questions if necessary, changing the value of the above fields.
When creating your rule to collect data from your contacts:
- In On Content Type, make sure to choose the content you want to link your automation to. It could be Broadcasts, your course serie or any other content. This step is essential to make your scenario functional.
- Make sure your survey automation come after your content type automation. Then it will be triggered after users subscribe to your content. You can use drag-and-drop to reorganise them.
- Put some delay in the first question to make the serie of automation smooth and non-invasive.
If several months after the subscription, you want to retrieve more information from your contacts, repeat the same process:
- Create an automation
- Add a rule similar to the first one.
But this time, in the rule you will add, replace "On Subscription created" by "On Get started" or any other option of the drop list except Contact created, Subscription accepted, Subscription created.
Click on Create rule.
NB: Be sure to check the Save answer to contact profile box. You can now use this information to segment your broadcasts.
Segmenting a broadcast
Once you have retrieved the information you need and save them in the contact profile, you can send targeted broadcasts to your subscribers.